As time passes, we lose people close to us. Maybe it will be a mother, father, or best friend, but inevitably it happens. If you’re lucky, you’ll be there near the end and get to say goodbye. Many people struggle to express their thoughts at this moment and want to communicate that “you will be missed.” This article offers some advice on how to do this.
Many people stay away from the subject entirely because they fear being rude, and some people fear being too sentimental and making their sick loved ones feel sad. However, if there are important words you need to express, you should not be afraid.
Here are some creative ways to tell your loved ones how much you love them. We’ve also included a few quotes about people who are missing that might inspire you.
Creative Ways To Say You Will Be Missed
These “You Will Be Missed” sentiments are universal enough to apply to many different situations and should provide the inspiration you need to form your own words.
- “I’m lucky you were a part of my life.”
Those you let into your life leave a mark. It’s not always obvious, but you’ll find they live in your memories. Everyone you develop a relationship with brings something to your life, and you should let those who bring kindness, wisdom, fun, and friendship know it by using this phrase.
- “I will miss you – until we see each other again.”
For those who believe in an afterlife, death isn’t the end. Give your loved one something to look forward to by expressing the desire to connect in whatever comes next.
- “Every time I hear (that song), I think of you.”
Music can evoke emotions and memories. When you hear a song, it can remind you of past friends and relationships. A song can make you think of a special moment, like a wedding or a road trip, and it can also transport you back to a specific time of your life.
If you find a song that brings back positive memories of a specific person, use this phrase to let them know.
- “I’ll miss you, but I’ll always remember the joy and light you brought into my life.”
Acknowledge the grief of losing someone close but focus on the good. Let your loved one know you’ll never forget them, and they’ll live on in your memories.
- “We’ve been together through every important moment – know you’ll be on my mind every future moment.”
Every time you mark a significant event in your life, you’ll be thinking of loved ones no longer here. Absences are felt deeper during special moments like weddings, graduations, holidays.
Let family and friends know they’re on your mind during these moments. Remind them of the good memories you created together.
- “I wish we had more time, but I’ll always value the time we had together.”
People will come and go as you experience life. Even if they were only in your life for a brief period, be sure to let them know the impact they made on you.
- “I will always love you.”
When someone dies, your love for them lives on in your heart and thoughts. Let the people you love know you’ll always cherish them. The affection you express will stay with them to the end and beyond.
You Will Be Missed Expressed In Song Lyrics
It can be hard to find the right words to express your feelings, which is why we revere songwriters and poets so much for their ability to do it. Songs and poetry are a great place to seek inspiration for the thoughts you wish to express. The following are some songs and poems about missing someone and loss that might inspire.
- “And I’ll be there forever and a day, always – I’ll be there ’til the stars don’t shine.” – Bon Jovi
These words are a core part of Bon Jovi’s song “Always.” They let the person hearing them know you will be connected forever and convey the depth of your love for them.
- “Every moment spent with you is a moment I treasure.” – Aerosmith
Although the song “I don’t want to miss a thing” by Aerosmith is about being with there in person. This particular line lets them know the lasting impression they’ve made on your life and how they’ll be remembered.
- “Every step I take, every move I make, every single day, every time I pray, I’ll be missing you” – Sean Combs & Faith Evans
I’ll be missing you is dedicated to “everyone that has lost someone that they truly loved.” The lyrics let everyone who hears them know how deeply the loss is felt and how the person will never be forgotten.
- “Right down the line, it’s been you and me – I’m forever yours faithfully” – Journey
The Journey song, “Faithfully,” is one of the most popular songs of all time. It describes a long-lasting relationship that the singer projects will go on forever. This is another good way to communicate; you will be missed.
- “Every night in my dreams I see you, I feel you, that is how I know you go on.” – Celine Dion
Celine Dion hit the nail on the head with these lyrics in “My Heart Will Go On.” The lyrics let the person know how prevalent they are in your thoughts and feelings and how you view this as endless.
- “You gave me everything you had, you gave me life, I will remember you” – Sarah McLachlan
“I Will Remember You,” by Sarah McLachlan, provides this great line to share with your mother, so she knows how much she meant to you and that she will be missed.
- “Let the light guide your way, hold every memory as you go, and every road you take will always lead you home” – Wiz Khalifa
Wiz Khalifa’s “See You Again” again is about losing a friend and the hope of some future reunion. The entire song is about letting the person know how special they were to you and how that bond will never be broken.
You Will Be Missed Expressed In Books & Poetry
Poetry is also an excellent place to look for inspiration. The following are several of the most known passages about missing someone.
- “For when the cold winds blow, I will close my eyes calmly, knowing I am anchored to you.”
– Tyler Knott Gregson
This passage speaks to a person’s strong connection with a loved one and always knowing they’ll be there when needed.
- “Love is missing someone whenever you’re apart, but somehow feeling warm inside because you’re close in heart.”- Kay Knudsen
Kay Knudsen comes up with a great way to say you’ll be missed and always loved.
- “In case you ever foolishly forget: I am never not thinking of you.” -Virginia Wolf
This quote reminds your loved one that you think of them often and will continue thinking of them when they are no longer here.
- “I miss you when I’m breathing.” – Jason Derulo
This quote also expresses a never-ending longing to be with the one you love.
- “It’s hard when you miss people. But you know if you miss them, that means you’re lucky. It means you had someone special in your life, someone worth missing.” – Nikki Schiefelbein
This passage by Nikki Schiefelbein turns a difficult situation of loss into a positive one, letting the one you love know you were better off for knowing them.
- “Your memory is like my home. Therefore, whenever my thoughts wander it always returns towards you.” -” Ranata Suzuki
Suzuki communicates that feeling we get when we know we’re where we belong. In this case, the memory of our loved one takes us there. Suzuki is often quoted because he has that rare ability to distill emotions into words.
- “No matter where you go, you will always be in my heart.” – Anthony T. Hincks
This final quote very simply lets your loved one know you will be missed.
When someone is on their deathbed, they know it. Expressing their emotions is difficult, and it will also be difficult to express yourself.
People often regret not letting loved ones know how important they were and rarely regret expressing it. Hopefully, these words give you a place to start taking all your emotions and begin putting them into words. It doesn’t have to be all you talk about, but you don’t want to regret not letting a loved one know how you felt about them.